
Nobody (2021)
4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Review: The Basics

SCREENSHOTS FROM THE TRAILER
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZti8QKBWPo



DISCLAIMER
Nobody (2021) 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray was sent to us by Universal Studios. The opinions in this review are my own.
Nobody 4K Blu-ray
4K Ultra HD + Blu-ray
Universal Studios | 2021 | Rated R | Jun 22, 2021
Video
Codec: HEVC / H.265
Resolution: 4K (2160p)
HDR: Dolby Vision, HDR10
Original aspect ratio: 2.39:1
Audio
English: Dolby Atmos
French (Canadian): Dolby Digital 5.1
Spanish: Dolby Digital 7.1
Subtitles
English SDH, French (Canadian), Spanish
Discs
4K Ultra HD (UHD)
Blu-ray Disc
Two-disc set (1x 4KUHD, 1x BD)
UPC 191329154755
Story: The Basics

A bystander who intervenes to help a woman being harassed by a group of men becomes the target of a vengeful drug lord.
Director: Ilya Naishuller
Writer: Derek Kolstad
Starring: Bob Odenkirk, Connie Nielsen, Christopher Lloyd, J.P. Manoux, RZA
Nobody (2021) Official Trailer
Video: The Basics

Nobody comes with Dolby Vision video which IMO is overkill considering the cameras. They used digital cameras which, in my opinion, need to be incredible to not see any bit-depth issues. Let's take a further look.
There are minor bit-depth issues, this cannot be corrected by using Dolby Vision either. Dolby typically has great color depth and a smoother response than HDR10 on current displays. We don't have that here, I've seen this before on movies with "budget" cameras. What this means is Dolby Vision is having little to no impact on bit-depths because it's below the threshold of HDR10. You can see this on the side of faces, with gradient fades.
I saw a couple of scenes where the encoder has issues with this on walls. Fading wall color with dispersed light was slightly noisy. This is a doubleheader (so to speak), the source has bit-depth issues and the encoder is trying to piece this together. I didn't think that this was that great.
Talking noise, there was some noise in the dark areas in the main house. The bit-rate is too low here, the players' bit-rate meter confirms this. Bit-rates are as low as 20 Mbps and a peak at 70. The average looks to be around 54 Mbps, which IMO is nowhere near enough. Remember that this is a digital shot movie, so film grain has to be added digitally. Film grain and 2KDI are also an issue here. Again, a doubleheader. So, the movie is 2K, which changes grain structure, it makes fine detailed grain appear softer. This is because of downscaling. The source format was 5 and 6K, why they downscaled to a 2K is beyond me. With film grain like this, it needs really high bit-rate, and there is minor grain break-up because of this. Notice this trend in my reviews? Not enough bit-rate? We need to start contacting movie studios about increasing bit-rates. I will be doing my part and contacting Universal Studios about it. It's always worth speaking up about it, you never know somebody may listen.
There's some minor sharpness that's been applied, I mean minor. I only saw one scene that it was actually noticeable. There's also minor ringing around hard objects, but again, very minor. I'm happy about this, I think it looks decent in this respect.
So, is this a bad-looking movie? Honestly, no, it has the issues I've mentioned, but it has some really good moments. At times it's really bright and looks nice. For a 2KDI detail is actually quite good, especially with close-up shots.
Overall? I would consider this a pretty average-looking movie. At times can look overly digital, but can also look great at times. It doesn't blow me away, but it's okay. Just a side note, I really enjoyed this movie, a good bit of fun.
VIDEO SCORE: 4 OUT OF 5
THE BASICS: SOME BIT-DEPTH ISSUES / LOW BIT-RATE
Audio: The Basics

Nobody comes with Dolby Atmos sound and has some really good music. Let's take a closer look.
Dialogue volume is very clear, recorded well, I had no issues with it. It's nice not having to mess with volume levels, good job.
I must say the music in this movie is really cool. It's old music, but I bet the soundtrack for this is really good. My really my style but still good. The music has a nice sound quality also, very smooth, not harsh, nice.
There's a couple of bass scenes, nothing crazy but it has some punch. There's use of surround sound also, mainly for effects but it added quite nicely to the on-screen action.
Overall, a decent-sounding movie.
AUDIO SCORE: 4 OUT OF 5
THE BASICS: PRETTY GOOD
HOW I REVIEW THE BASICS
REVIEW SCORES
2 - POOR
3 - AVERAGE
4 - GOOD
5 - EXCELLENT
5 - REFERENCE
EQUIPMENT I USE TO REVIEW
- POWER CONDITIONER - FURMAN ELITE-15 PF I
- DENON - X6500H (DOLBY ATMOS, DTSX, AND AURO 3D)
- ELAC - UNI-FI FLOORSTANDERS UF51
- ELAC - UNI-FI BOOKSHELF UB51 (INCLUDING DOLBY ATMOS)
- ELAC - UNI-FI CENTER SPEAKER UC51
- ELAC - TWO SUB3030 SUBWOOFERS
- PANASONIC - UB9000 4K ULTRA HD BLU-RAY PLAYER
- LG - C9 77 INCH - (ISF CALIBRATED - DOLBY VISION)
THANK YOU FOR READING OUR CONTENT



0 Comments: