Relative difficulty: Medium-Challenging (not sure why, just slow, ~12min ... maybe the drink?)
Theme answers:
- HAPPILY EVER AFT (23A: Always glad to be seated in the back of the boat?)
- ABSOLUTE POW (28A: Perfectly placed "Batman" punch?)
- RECYCLING CENT (50A: Penny going through the wash once again?)
- AMEN, BROTH (56A: Soup served at the church social?)
- BRAIN TEAS (77A: Afternoon gatherings of Mensa?) (ugh, Mensa, stop promoting that crap as shorthand for "intelligence")
- CELLPHONE NUMB (85A: Having no feeling in one's texting hand?)
- RELIEF PITCH (103A: Ad for heartburn medication?)
- NO LAUGHING, MATT (15A: "Quit your snickering, Damon!"?)
n. pl. fe·nes·trae (-trÄ“′)
• • •
I'm looking around for things to admire and just not finding very many. I guess the fill could've been worse. It's reasonably solid. But it's just fill. Space filler. Not weak, exactly, but not wowing anyone either. The only things I have to remark on today are trouble spots / wrong answers. Not sure I knew CALICO was a fabric (26A: Printed cotton fabric). I know it only as a cat (26A: Printed cotton fabric). Had to guess most of PHENOL (33D: Caustic compound). Wanted CRUSTY and (especially) CRABBY before CRANKY (60D: Irascible). Holy moly I could not get to the very very general REGION from the weirdly oddly specific 59D: Map section. I will never understand why the puzzle thinks everyone watches "GOT" or why anyone thinks it's better to clue BRAN as a "GOT" character than as the ordinary English word that it is. Ugh. ANONYM is [frowny face]. How is a DOG like a canary? I honestly don't know, and was totally baffled by that clue / answer (82D: Animal for which the Canary Islands are named). Here's wikipedia on the subject:
The name Islas Canarias is likely derived from the Latin name Canariae Insulae, meaning "Islands of the Dogs", a name that was evidently generalized from the ancient name of one of these islands, Canaria – presumably Gran Canaria. According to the historian Pliny the Elder, the island Canaria contained "vast multitudes of dogs of very large size".
I think that's all I have the energy for today. I wish the puzzle could find some happy medium between the wildly ambitious but kinda solver-hating Sunday puzzle of last week with the very clear but very dull puzzle of this week. All with a sprinkling of sparkle. That would be cool. Take care.


0 Comments: